Thursday, February 4, 2010

DAY 3 Feb 4 Intro

The Socratic Method ("Ya But . .")- Question and Answer -
Ask a simple question which is straightforward, e.g.
Q. What is Courage? (Straightforward Question)
A. Courage is the lack of fear in facing a potentially hazardous situation. (Straightforward answer).

Then - ask a question with a counter-example refuting some of what was in the first answer.
Q. What about the mother who is afraid of dogs yet still protects her small child from a bad dog?  (This question indicates that the original answer was somehow incomplete, incorrect, biased, or needing further clarification).
A. Well, yes, the mother has fear in that case, but not enough fear to keep her from protecting her kid.

This Q & A continues until both sides agree that the original question has been answered clearly enough.

Then people practiced with topics like love, justice, loyalty, happiness, what a swan is. 

SYLLOGISM
An Argument - a series of statements beginning with a premise (or premises) and a conclusion.
The premise is a statement (proposition) that provide a reason for arriving at the conclusion.
e.g. The premise, "All humans are mortal", is true.
"I am human, therefore . . . 
I am mortal".

It wouldn't work to leave out the middle premise, "I am human."   e.g.
"All humans are mortal.
Therefore I am mortal."   Because there's no logical connection between the two statements.

Also, you must start with and continue with correct premises to reach a valid conclusion.
e.g. "All mortals are human.
I am a mortal, therefore . . .
I am a human."    This is not true because the first premise is incorrect.

or "All humans are immortal.  I am a human.  Therefore, I am immortal."

or . .  "All swans are white.  I am a swan, therefore I am white."

Aristotle's "syllogism" consists of two premises and a conclusion.

In these invalid cases, the argument is valid but the conclusion is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment